Planetside 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Planetside 2

Post by Eredale on November 26th 2012, 10:25 am

I can't believe there's no thread about this yet.

I've never heard about this game at all before, and stumbled upon it totally by accident, but I must say - this is one of the best games I've played in the last few years. Like, seriously.

Here's the trailer, watch it first:

Now, I will tell you this - it's not a strategy. It's a multiplayer FPS, similar to Battlefield and Tribes. There's just one difference - the scale.

What you saw was actual gameplay footage. Those scenes with 12874918749 soliders, tanks, and aircraft fighting at the same time? That's exactly how the game is (well, except that no one stands still like in the cinematics). I never believed it until I saw it myself - those absolutely epic battles where you cross a mountain ridge with your squad, and suddenly realize that there's like over a hundred soliders of your faction following you, a dozen tanks, several gunboats in the sky, and ALL THAT is piloted and controlled by live players? That was some blood-chill right there when I first felt that.

So the scale - each server holds 3000 people in the game at the same time. Each server has 3 continents. Each continent is several dozen square kilometers wide. Three different empires to choose from, with vehicles availiable both across each empire, and uniques, empire-specific tanks. The battle is done in a strategic fashion, with territories and checkpoints to control for resources, but the actual gameplay is completely FPS - you can go shooting up people up close and personal, you can ride a transport, you can siege people with a tank (yes, there is a siege tank), or you can go Starship Troopers with a 12-seat air fortress transport and a crew of friends.

Then, everything can be customized - I won't tell you a lot about this, you'd have to watch another video to understand, but you can literally change EVERYTHING. You can customize your class with plenty of weapon, you can customize your weapon with attachments (like Crysis, you can add scopes/laser sights/silencers/etc.). Even more, you can customize your vehicle loadouts too, and change those loadouts according to the situation.

I've been playing this for a while now, and even though my trash can PC struggles to pull 30 FPS out of this, it's been thoroughly awesome so far - all the expectations of epic battles and all that grand scale continent war in real time when you can go anywhere and do anything, have been met entirely.

Try it - you won't be disappointed.

EDIT: And yep, it's absolutely free to play.

Last edited by Eredale on November 26th 2012, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eredale

Health Health : 156
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Planetside 2

Post by Stunkata8 on November 26th 2012, 11:28 am

I think you forgot to mention this little detail - it's a Free2Play game!
Stunkata8
Asmodeus (Luxuria)
Asmodeus (Luxuria)

Health Health : 65
Registration date : 2009-09-10

http://stun-world.hit.bg/

Back to top Go down

Post by waxgyi on November 26th 2012, 1:38 pm

Seem impressive, What's your name in the game?

waxgyi
Chunnin of the Leaf
Chunnin of the Leaf

Health Health : 12
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale on November 26th 2012, 5:05 pm

I'm Eredale (surprising, right?) on the Jaeger server, Vanu Empire. We conquered the Esamir continent Very Happy And now we are going for superiority on Amerish continent, but Terran Republic is proving to be a worthy opponent so far.
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by kanser on November 26th 2012, 7:09 pm

I don't like games there you can pay for advantages. One more reason why NTSD is epic :-)
kanser
Mighty Gai
Mighty Gai

Health Health : 0
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale on November 26th 2012, 7:16 pm

Well guess what - there is no such thing as paying for advantages in PS2, because everything that you could possibly buy with money, you can buy for ingame cash too. A paying player will never have a better gun than a free player. The only advantage you get from paying is earning your weapons faster, and that's about it.

On a side note, Vanu's basic sniper rifle is terrible.
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by DoM!n on November 26th 2012, 8:58 pm

Been playing since first beta, unfortunately haven't got time to play full version, but will get it for sure asap.

It's shaqtastic
DoM!n
Mizukage
Mizukage

Health Health : 261
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kanser on November 27th 2012, 12:53 am

@Eradele
Ok that sounds better than i interpreted from the games website. But there are beter systems (like sponsors in the loading screen, or a shop which just sells cosmetic things).
kanser
Mighty Gai
Mighty Gai

Health Health : 0
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale on November 27th 2012, 11:56 am

And there are entirely free games without purchaseable items out there, your point?

Games that sell only cosmetics, are usually very short, each round being some 25-45 minutes long, from beginning to end, so they can't really sell any different weaponry. If, for example, you had to get 100-250 kills in Dota to buy just one item, it just won't work - so Valve sells hero costumes and levelup boosters.

Planetside, on the contrary, is truly infinite in its length, so it needs some long-term progression goals that would feel really satisfying when you reach them - just a few posts ago I said how Vanu's basic sniper rifle sucks, so I acquired enough points to unlock another one, which has more damage, but has to reload every shot, and can't fire rapidly. Even though this one feels a lot better when going for long-range snipes, the standard one is better for mid-range shooting, where you will be dead if you start reloading. Oh, it also makes a cool shotgun.

My point is, the game is free, and there are no imbalanced 'premium' items. I wouldn't play it if there were.
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sidoain on December 7th 2012, 2:16 pm

I was in beta, but my pc is not powerful enough to run the game sadly. Stil my pc is not so bad, i can run skyrim at the lowest setting perfectly, but i can't run planetside 2. I can even play tribes with a good fps.

So why can't i run planetside 2? I wonder how the lowest setting looks like. Since planetside 2 is mostly a console game made by sony, they probably didnt try to play around with their optional graphics and this might be why i cant play.

Yeah, i'm really mad right now.
Sidoain

Health Health : -1
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale on December 7th 2012, 4:42 pm

Yeah, the lowest setting looks pretty lame, because performance mainly depends on render quality, and stuff looks horribly pixelated and blurry.

New MMOs have this silly tendency to go out of beta before they are optimized - MWO, and now Planetside 2, have entered OB without fixing performance issues for lower and middle range PCs, which causes massive FPS loss and occasional memory leaks. Both dev teams promise optimization in the future, and no one has doubts that it will come, but how soon is the future that they speak of? That's the tedious question.
Eredale

Back to top Go down

Post by pimpen itachi IX on December 7th 2012, 9:15 pm

I joined the closed beta back in July and started playing in august. there was only one problem. You NEED a high end computer.
pimpen itachi IX
Jounin of the Leaf
Jounin of the Leaf

Health Health : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight_Blaze on December 8th 2012, 11:41 pm

Planetside is awesome, I've been playing quite a bit, problem is I can never find people that actually have the ability to SPEAK ENGLISH.

Seriously, I'm technically a foreigner and I can't find any English speakers in Europe.
I'm in Mallory server, TR.

If anyone's there, even if you're Vanu or NC, add me. ETCViper

Midnight_Blaze
Sei
Sei

Health Health : 37
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Divisor XII on December 9th 2012, 1:11 am

Great, will try it out ASAP.
Divisor XII