[Pc/Ps3/Xbox360] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [UPDATED!]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Pc/Ps3/Xbox360] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [UPDATED!]

Post by K E N T A R U on June 16th 2011, 11:06 pm

.:: Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Official Gameplay Trailer ::.

Note:Yes there is actually "gameplay"

.::Info::.
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Developer: Bethesda Studios
Genre: Role-Playing
Release Date: Nov 11, 2011
ESRB: Mature [17+]

.::Official Website::.

.::Plot::.
The Empire of Tamriel is on the edge. The High King of Skyrim has
been murdered.
Alliances form as claims to the throne are made. In the midst of this conflict, a far more dangerous, ancient evil is awakened. Dragons, long lost to the passages of the Elder Scrolls, have returned to Tamriel.
The future of Skyrim, even the Empire itself, hangs in the balance as they wait for the prophesized Dragonborn to come; a hero born with the power of The Voice, and the only one who can stand amongst the dragons.
.::E3 2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Gameplay Demo::.
Spoiler:
To put it mildly, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of GameSpot's most eagerly awaited games of 2011. Skyrim is the latest in Bethesda's line of open-world role-playing games, and we're expecting it to be one of the biggest, most engrossing games of the year. Speculation over which direction Bethesda might be taking the Elder Scrolls series in came to a welcome end back in April when we got our first look at the game and its rugged Nordic frontier. Now, with the Electronic Entertainment Expo on the horizon, we've been treated to another look at what Skyrim has in store, courtesy of game director Todd Howard.

The demo began with some overlap with what was already covered back in April. Your character, living a renewed life after avoiding execution at the beginning of the game, faces a descending pathway leading down to a river in a heavily wooded area. Surrounding you are imposing mountaintops dusted with snow that immediately let you know that Skyrim is a different world from its predecessor. It's a harsh, northern frontier populated not only by dragons, but by giants and woolly mammoths as well.

The revamped game engine powering Skyrim is an impressive bit of technology. Whether it's a massive view of a distant mountaintop that you can actually go off and climb--one such mountaintop houses a race of men called Greybeards, who have become masters of communicating with dragons--or the ability to wander through the woods and simply pick berries, Skyrim is a game that concerns itself with the big picture as well as the little one. "We're trying to build this complete virtual fantasy world," said Howard. "And we're all about the little details that make it a believable place."

The demo moved from the wooded pathway running along the river into a waterfront lumber town called Riverwood. Howard says that each town or city you encounter in the game has its own economy and job system, which you can see in regular non-player characters going about their day-to-day lives chopping wood, sharpening axes, or what have you. In fact, Howard even pointed out that there are now children in the game to add more believability to the gameworld. But it's believability with one minor compromise. "You can't kill them," joked Howard. "Someone already asked in the last demo."

From here, the demo moved on to the dungeon that we detailed in our first preview of Skyrim. We already talked about how combat has been reworked for this latest entry in the Elder Scrolls series, covering subjects such as dual-wielding a spell in one hand and a weapon in the other, as well as the new "dragon shout" system that lets you manipulate the world around you using your innate abilities as a dragonborn. So instead, let's talk about something that really shouldn't be overlooked: the interface.

The user interface is one of the most common pitfalls of any role-playing game, what with the amount of skill progression and item management the genre throws at you. Bethesda's solution? "We're big Apple fans at Bethesda," said Howard, and the clean, minimalist game interface was designed out of an attempt to create the sort of menu system Apple might make if it decided to build a fantasy game. You can navigate the majority of the menu system using only directions on the analog stick, never having to press a single button until you get to an item you want to use. Skill trees are depicted not as abstract lines on the screen, but as constellations in the sky that you must move from one star to the next as you upgrade your skills.

And then there's the quick favorite system. "You can bookmark items like you bookmark Web pages," said Howard. This system then lets you use the directional pad to pull open a quick list of bookmarked items on the fly, whether it's weapon configurations, dragon shouts, or a hunk of salmon meat for when you get hungry. It's essentially a progression of how the directional pad worked in the console versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Though instead of eight directions, you've got a fully customized list of the items and abilities you care most about, divorced from the main item interface and viewable on the go.

After finishing up in this dungeon, Howard emerged in a new territory that wasn't shown in the earlier demo. Contrasting with the dense wilderness at the beginning of the game, this was an open tundra on the outskirts of Whiterun Hold, one of nine holds that make up the game. This particular location happens to be the home of the Companions, which, according to Howard, are one of the three main factions in Skyrim. But Howard kept outside of the hold, because he was more interested in showing off the local wildlife than the politics of the cities. A group of mammoths and giants were walking peacefully across the tundra, unthreatened by Howard's character. That is, right up until Howard shot a fire spell at one of the mammoths to illustrate that even peaceful fauna can get violent when provoked.

The mammoths and giants went down relatively easily, but the dragon that showed up right after was a substantially harder fight. Howard's strategy for taking this guy down was to focus on the dragon shout abilities, particularly the stormcall shout that immediately summons a torrential downpour and flashes of lightning focused directly on your enemy. Once you take out a dragon--no easy feat even with a character Howard admitted had been substantially leveled up for the demo--you're able to absorb its soul, which becomes a sort of currency for unlocking new dragon shouts. To hear Howard describe the system, it's as though you and your enemies are speaking a common dragon language as you exchange shouts of fire and frost. And as the game progresses, you become more and more in tune with your status as a dragonborn, learning more of the language in order to unlock the powers of the dragons--the beasts that the ancient Nordic inhabitants of Skyrim once worshipped before they mysteriously disappeared from the world. That's all a little too abstract for us to fully wrap our heads around after such a brief demo, but we can certainly say that some of the abilities these dragon shouts offer are pretty cool.

With the dragon slayed and its soul absorbed, the demo came to a close. We're happy to say that Skyrim continues to be one of our most anticipated games of 2011. You can expect to see more on it as we get closer to the game's November release.

Personal Comment: [insert English here]

.::Some Pictures::.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

.::All new graphics and gameplay engine::.
Skyrim's new game engine brings to life a complete virtual world with rolling clouds,
rugged mountains, bustling cities, lush fields, and ancient dungeons.
.::You are what you play::.
Choose from hundreds of weapons, spells, and abilities. The new character system
allows you to play any way you want and define yourself through your actions.
.::Epic Fantasy Reborn::.
Skyrim reimagines and revolutionizes the open-world fantasy epic, bringing to life a complete virtual world open for you to explore any way you choose.

.::Story::.

::Skyrim will take place 200 years after Oblivion and isnt a direct sequel in the traditional sense of things from a story perspective.
::You take the role of one of the supposed last remaining Dragonborn, a true dragon hunter, and will no doubt be tasked to stop the huge dragon God, Alduin, also known as the World Eater.
::Esbern, your in-game mentor of sorts, is one of the last surviving Blades and will be voiced by Max Von Sydow (Minority Report, etc)
::Your hero will be tasked with walking 7,000 steps to the high retreat of High Hrothgar to get dragon slaying training from a group of mysterious old men that reside there called the Greybeards.

.::Game World::.

::There are said to be six or seven really different environment looks in Skyrim, says Bethesda's Todd Howard.
::There are 5 massive cities to explore. Yes, you can fast travel to previously explored places.
::There are 10 races in Skyrim.
::There are a variety of tasks to do in Skyrim as well, including crafting new weapons at the forge, creating poisons and potions through alchemy and you can enchant items with magical powers.
::You can also get involved in mundane tasks if you wish, like farming, woodcutting, mining and even cooking.
::Dropping weapons in the street can end in different outcomes; for instance, it could remain there forgotten, it could be picked up by a small boy and returned to you, or two men could fight over its ownership.
::The game world is said to be much more alive and detailed than in Oblivion, and boast incredible draw distances. Everything is said to be traversable.
::The game world is populated with a variety of animals from saber-tooth cats to woolly mammoths.
::Lesser dragons roam the game world, meaning they will play a far more significant part this time around. They are a big part of Skyrim and wont be held back until the end.

.::Missions::.

::Thanks to something Bethesda are calling the Radiant story system, the games lesser missions will react to who you are and where you are, and present you with quests that are flavoured dynamically.
::Thatll take into account where youve been, who youve killed, what skills youve upgraded, who are your friends and who are your enemies. For instance, a magic user may give a fellow magic user a quest, but not someone who levelled up their weapon skill.
::If you kill a shopkeeper that was going to give you a quest, his sister will inherit the store and may give you the quest out of anger or frustration instead.
::The ability to duel in the streets is mentioned.
::Through missions, the game will encourage players to go places theyve never visited. For instance, a woman might ask you to save her kidnapped offspring and the game will send you to a dungeon youve never been before. Itll then set enemies that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.

.::NPCs::.

::Faces have been dramatically overhauled, giving them more emotion and making them as realistic as they ever have been in a Bethesda game.
::Conversations are revamped and no longer zoom in on a rigid character. Instead, characters will often get on with what they are doing with the occasional glances at the player character, for instance.
::Characters can overhear details from other peoples conversations that they can do with as they see fit, from hearing about missing items or unusual situations. All of which are stored in a log.

.::Combat::.

::Skyrim welcomes the two hands/two options approach, enabling players to mix and match what each hand holds, whether its a spell/weapon combo, a weapon/weapon combo, a spell/spell combo or a weapon/shield combo. Whatever you want is possible.
::You can setup loadouts and change them in combat with only a momentary pause.
::There are finishing moves now that are weapon and opponent specific.
::Bows take longer to draw back this time, but are much more powerful.
::There are only 5 schools of magic in Skyrim there was 6 in Oblivion with Mysticism being cut. Howard insisted that with them jiggling stuff around, it became redundant.
::Bethesda has slowed down how fast you move backwards too, so you cant just backpedal in combat. Apparently being able to move as fast backwards as you can forwards made your character look ridiculous in third-person view.
::Enemies dont necessarily charge at the player when they see him this time and some will have unique patterns and tendencies.
::Players can learn unique abilities called dragon shouts by absorbing the souls of dragons one of the benefits of the dragonborn - of which there are over 20 in the game and each is formed from three words of power. They can push enemies away, slow down time, transport you and even summon a dragon, amongst other things.

.::Leveling up::.

::There is no class system per se in Skyrim and how a player plays depends on what skills the character gains. Use a one-handed weapon, watch that skill increase, etc. You get experience for everything.
::Skill increases contribute to your overall level growth. Each level gives you a boost in health and a chance to boost health, magika or stamina.
::There are 18 separate skills in Skyrim, including such things like Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, Enchanting, etc.
::It seems like there are 50 main levels, with Howard mentioning levelling up to 50 is roughly the same time as it would be to level an Oblivion or Fallout character to 25.
::You can level up past 50, but its a dramatically slower increase than before once you get past that threshold.
::Todd Howard confirms that Skyrim will use the perk system that they used in Fallout 3, noting that there was an automated perk system in place in Oblivion, but in Skyrim, the user has control over it. There are dozens of perks to choose from, that may increase dagger damage during stealth attacks and may mean your mace attack may ignore your foes armour skills.
::On the official forums, Bethesda responded to questions about the games scaling system that many didnt like in the original. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's, said Bethesdas Senior Community Manager on the forums.

.::General::.

::You can play Skyrim HUD free.
::The third person perspective is said to be improved.
::Characters can now sprint, using up stamina from their stamina supply.

Last edited by .::K E N T A R U::. on June 22nd 2011, 1:14 am; edited 6 times in total
K E N T A R U
NTSDII Leader
NTSDII Leader

Health Health : 184
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: [Pc/Ps3/Xbox360] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [UPDATED!]

Post by Phoenix on June 16th 2011, 11:14 pm

Getting it for PS3. I really hope they don't tone down the game specs for Xbox 360. The best thing to hope for is do what L.A. Noire did and make it a multiple disc game. That way the game won't suffer from the need to keep it the same on both platforms.

I saw some of the dragon fights on the live stream E3 demo, looks smooth as silk and as fun as a box of matches. Reinforced my anticipation for the game.
Phoenix
Akatsuki Trainee
Akatsuki Trainee

Health Health : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by K E N T A R U on June 16th 2011, 11:23 pm

I love how they are attaching a mod tool box for the pc version I'm getting the pc version and the ps3 version. The fights are beautiful, clean, just like you said. The game also generates quests depending on what actions you take. I'll be adding a list of features to this page soon.
K E N T A R U
NTSDII Leader
NTSDII Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Tfwtolly on June 27th 2011, 8:41 am

Can't wait for it, I'm getting it on PC and maybe 360.

Tfwtolly

Health Health : -3
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by VizardFerrer on June 27th 2011, 9:34 pm

I won't be buying multiple copies...but I will be buying the PS3 version.
VizardFerrer

Health Health : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by K E N T A R U on July 2nd 2011, 8:43 pm

Well for the Pc they are giving a modding pack because they realised how large the modding community of oblivion was, there are going to be some sick mods for the PC version~ plus the pc version always gets the cheat codes, lolol.. I'll most likely be getting it for the PS3 as well but also the PC. It'll probably be 2 disks for the 360
K E N T A R U
NTSDII Leader
NTSDII Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on September 7th 2011, 8:18 pm

I need to upgrade my pc to make it run with nice graphics.

It will cost some money but atleast I have endless amount of awesome mods.

Back to top Go down

Post by jiraiya96 on November 13th 2011, 10:51 pm

Already played it Very Happy So awesome. The graphics are amazing (running it on ultra high settings Very Happy) The fighting system is much better and jump finally looks nice. Sometimes when you defeat an enemy there is a really cool cinematic which is awesome.There's tonnes of stuff to say more Very Happy but overally this is a amazing game.
jiraiya96
Shadow of the desert
Shadow of the desert

Health Health : 8
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on November 22nd 2011, 10:08 pm

Yes, This game is Awesome! Just as I expected it to be (sorry for reviving this topic, didn't want to open a new one).

Back to top Go down

Post by Eredale on November 22nd 2011, 11:35 pm

Have been playing it since release, my sister too

Game's mighty awesome, I'm level 42 and I feel like I only saw a quarter of what the game has to offer
Eredale

Health Health : 156
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on November 22nd 2011, 11:58 pm

@Eredale wrote:Have been playing it since release, my sister too

Game's mighty awesome, I'm level 42 and I feel like I only saw a quarter of what the game has to offer

Trust me, you're not even close to a quarter. More like a present of the game is completed by you.

I used to play other computer games, until I took an arrow in the knee.

Back to top Go down

Post by analzooro on December 16th 2011, 3:23 pm

Main quest is done in like 5 hours,all the side quests are shit(expect dark brotherhood one),you can basicly become the leader of every fucking guild in one playthrough,altho you can roleplay for each guild. The only thing you can do,is to make another character to use weapons/magic/stuff you didn't use in your main game + it's utter shit on consoles.
analzooro

Health Health : 21
Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top